The Roger M. Jones Fellowship Abroad
A professor of humanities in the College of Engineering, Roger M. Jones was dedicated to teaching his students the profound human value of literature. Supported by a memorial fund, the Roger M. Jones Fellowship was established shortly after Professor Jones’ death in 1977, to honor his memory and to celebrate his conviction about the relevance of the humanities in a technological age. This annual Fellowship abroad provides a graduating UM engineering student the opportunity to study the humanities at a European university to broaden and deepen his or her previous education in the College of Engineering. The Fellowship includes living expenses, travel stipend, and tuition for one year.
- You must be an undergraduate student who will receive their bachelor’s degree from the College of Engineering by the end of the summer term 2019.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
How to Enter
- Complete the online application.
- Attach the following materials with your online application:
- Recent photograph of yourself;
- Two (2) narrative statements (See below).
- Submit the following supplemental materials to the College of Engineering Office of Student Affairs:
- Three (3) letters of recommendation. Two (2) of the recommenders must have supervised some aspect of your academic work;
- An Official academic transcript.
- Please describe your motivation to apply for the Roger M. Jones Fellowship. Include a description of your interests, long-term goals and the impact you believe this experience will have on your intellectual development and cultural awareness. Include a detailed plan of universities and humanities programs that you will be applying to and the dates of the program. (Minimum of 3 pages)
- Please expand upon the academic, co-curricular, cultural, and/or international experiences highlighted in your resume. Discuss common threads between these experiences and why they are meaningful for you. (2-3 pages)
11:59 p.m. on Sunday, November 25, 2018, including supplemental materials. Late applications and supplemental materials will not be accepted.
Complete applications are reviewed by the Roger M. Jones Fellowship Committee. Select candidates will be invited to interview for the fellowship. Interviews are typically scheduled mid-December prior to final exams. Candidates invited to interview will be notified via email to coordinate an interview date and time. Business attire is required for the interview. The Committee will select the Roger M. Jones Fellow once all interviews have been completed.
The recipient of the fellowship will be selected before the winter recess break and recognized at the Engineering Student Leaders & Honors Brunch in March.
All supplemental information can be mailed or hand-delivered to:
Office of Student Affairs, College of Engineering
2121 Bonisteel Boulevard
Chrysler Center 143B
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2092
For questions or further information, please contact April Hays by phone at 647-7155; or by email at email@example.com.
- When considering programs, keep in mind the scope of the humanities. Helpful criteria are available at the American Academy of Arts & Sciences.
- You are encouraged to consult with the University of Michigan’s International Center for information about appropriate programs at European universities.
- You may also gain insight from the current and past fellows by reading about their experiences on the Roger M. Jones Journal.