The College of Engineering recognizes student recipients of the awards and prizes at the annual Student Leaders and Honors Brunch. Award descriptions are included here for your review prior to application. Students may be nominated for multiple awards each year.
Awards and Prizes: Nomination Form
Distinguished Leadership Award: Leadership Nomination Form
Individual Awards and Prizes
- A.D. Moore Award is presented to an outstanding sophomore or junior (based on year class level, not credit hours completed) who has demonstrated academic excellence, leadership qualities and outstanding contributions to co-curricular activities. $2,500 stipend
- Arlen R. Hellwarth Award is presented to two undergraduate student leaders who have made valuable contributions to the College, University and/or community. $500 stipend
- Charles Barth Jr. Prize is presented to an outstanding sophomore who has demonstrated academic excellence, leadership qualities and outstanding contributions to the University and/or community. $7,500 stipend
- Harry B. Benford Award for Entrepreneurial Leadership is awarded to an undergraduate or graduate student who has exhibited entrepreneurial flair and leadership ability, and who has capitalized effectively on the technological and engineering resources available in the College of Engineering. Nominees may be budding inventors or small business owners, leaders of team projects, community volunteers, or student organization leaders. $5,000 stipend
- Henry Ford II Prize is presented to an outstanding junior who has demonstrated academic excellence. $10,000 stipend
- Hugh G. Rumler Prize is presented to an outstanding senior on the basis of sincerity, integrity and goodwill; scholarship is desirable but of secondary consideration. $7,500 stipend
- Marian Sarah Parker Prize is presented to two outstanding women (one senior and one graduate student) who have demonstrated academic excellence, leadership qualities and outstanding contributions to the University and/or community. $1,000 stipend
- Mildred and Steele Bailey Prize is presented to an outstanding senior who has demonstrated academic excellence, leadership qualities and outstanding contributions to the University and/or community. $1,000 stipend
- Distinguished Achievement Undergraduate Award is presented to the outstanding undergraduate in each degree program. Criteria considered by the department awards committee include academic achievement, exemplary character, leadership in class and activities, and potential for success in future endeavors. $500 stipend
- Richard F. and Eleanor A. Towner Prize for Distinguished Academic Achievement is presented to the outstanding graduate student (Master’s or Ph.D. students) in each degree program. Criteria considered by the department awards committee include student’s active participation in research, leadership and academic performance (GPA). $1,000 stipend
- Distinguished Leadership Awards will be conferred upon undergraduate and graduate students of the College of Engineering who have demonstrated outstanding leadership and service to the College, University, and community. Students nominated for this award will be automatically notified and asked to complete additional information pertaining to their experiences and understanding of leadership. The additional information must be completed in order to have your nomination considered by the Leadership Awards Committee. All submissions are considered.
- Epeians Emerging Leader Award is presented to a second year undergraduate student who has made valuable contributions to the College of Engineering community. The recipient will demonstrate initiative by taking leadership roles within at least one student organization; seek opportunities and actively attempts to improve the College by creating positive change; and shows promise as a future leader in the College of Engineering.
Student Organization Awards
- Elaine Harden Award is presented to the Engineering student organization that best exemplifies dedicated leadership and service to the community.
- Outstanding Student Organization Advisor Award is presented to recognize the efforts of student organization advisors. This award is presented annually to honor the leadership, guidance, and support advisors provide to student groups on campus. Nomination must include a minimum of two (2) one-page, signed recommendation letters from students who have worked closely with the nominee and a nomination statement regarding how the advisor has encouraged, motivated and supported the organization from the student organization’s executive board.